I have decided to complete the 30 Days of D/s prompts from Loving BDSM which are far more appealing to me than the 30 Days of Kink prompts I had been doing! They seem more in-depth, like I could actually use them to write a quality post. Also, bonus, it will not be just me answering as Sir has decided he will also answer the prompts. He now has editing ability on this blog and will be able to post his own answers. ❤ I think it will be fun to see perspectives from both sub and Dom.
Because I am writing to my own experiences, I will often be referring to Dominants as male and submissives as female. That is my dynamic. I am not intentionally leaving anyone out (I loveee everyone), but I cannot confidently write to anyone else’s experience.
“Whether you identify as a Dominant or a submissive, you may have some picture in your mind of what kind of person is a Dominant.
What does dominance in a relationship mean to you? What traits will a Dominant have? How should a Dominant behave?”
Dominance in a relationship, for me at least, has multiple meanings and ways of manifesting. There seems to be a stereotype (mainly propagated, I assume, by those who have no idea what is actually going on) that all Dom-types are cold, unfeeling, and harsh. They take what they want without negotiation, ignore limits, and are generally terrible people. Of course, you and I both know this is far from accurate.
This is what it means to me: It means that I trust Sir so much that I am willing to allow him to own every little piece of me. It means that I know he has my best interests at heart and he may not always give me what I want, but I know he will give me what I need. I know he will not harm me. And, sometimes, it means grabbing me by the hair and fucking the life out of me. It means a lot of things.
I look for the following traits in a Dominant, some serious and some not so serious. I probably forgot a few.
- Not flaky. Sets rules and follows through, even if discipline is necessary.
- Good at spanking. 😉 The fun kind, not the punishment kind I hate.
- Willing to see the humor in life. Why so serious?
- Likes cats.
- GOOD COMMUNICATOR. This is like the most important thing ever.
- Likes nerdy things.
- Smells good. (No one wants stinky cuddles)
- Understands that he is human and might make mistakes sometimes.
- Loves me.
My list comes from a place of needing an actual relationship with my D/s. I am not a casual girl by any means. Without that strong connection, I cannot submit.
How should a Dominant behave? Perhaps this might be easier if I tell you how a Dominant should absolutely not behave by using my own past experiences.
- A Dominant should NOT ignore your limits just because he “lost his mind for a minute.” If he cannot control himself, how will he control someone else?
- A Dominant should NOT approach a random submissive he has never spoken to in his life and demand that she immediately submit to him. That’s creepy.
- He should NOT be unwilling to talk about feelings, yours or his. I mean, unless this is part of your agreement, but I cannot imagine why it would be.
- He should absolutely, never ever treat a submissive like she is inferior to him. This excludes humiliation/degradation/etc that is part of a scene. Just because someone is submissive does NOT mean doormat. I am not trying to be cocky here, but I cannot tell you how many Domly Doms tried to show up my intelligence and failed miserably.
Of course this is not everything but I think the moral of the story here is that Dominants do not get a pass on being a decent human simply because they are Dominant. No one does. Hence, they should behave like decent people. Luckily, there are plenty of good ones out there if you are patient enough.
I’d love to hear your thoughts, let me know in the comments and stayed tuned because Sir will post his answer to this same question soon!